SUCCESS project to present tools to improve freight transport caused by construction works at CIVITAS Forum 2017
The SUCCESS team will massively attend the upcoming CIVITAS forum organised from 27 to 29 September 2017 in Torres Vedras, Portugal. Six out of eleven consortium partners will participate to present various tools that cities, construction companies and transporters can use to make freight transport caused by construction works more sustainable.
The tools that will be permanently demoed at Stand S34 include:
- A multi-tactile table to simulate the impact of different policy measures on the sustainability of one or more construction projects
- A simple tool to self-assess one or more construction project(s) and decide what measures are likely to be most effective at improving its sustainability
- A Cost/Benefits Analysis to estimate the viability of a consolidation centre for one or more construction projects in any given city.
CIVITAS is a European network of cities which was launched by the European Commission in 2002 and encourages cities to engage in cleaner and better transport solutions. Since then, the CIVITAS initiative has tested and implemented over 800 measures and urban transport solutions in the context of various demonstration projects. The SUCCESS project is part of the CIVITAS family since its beginning in 2015.
Under the banner of “Small Communities, Big Ideas”, the 15th edition of the CIVITAS Forum will especially highlight pioneering initiatives of sustainable transport and mobility that emerge from small communities and towns. Several hundred mobility experts, public actors and stakeholders are expected to participate in the event.
Different workshops and exposition sessions to showcase the SUCCESS experience
The most recent advancements of the SUCCESS project will be presented during the session “Innovative approaches for engaging and supporting industry and local authorities in urban freight strategy development” on 27 September (3pm, Room PS1). The focus of the presentation will be put on the project’s contribution to the development of a favourable background for the facilitation of stakeholder engagement and cooperation in the Urban Freight Transport sector, and especially in presenting the tools that the project is developing to:
- measure, understand and better communicate the information on the impacts of urban freight transport of construction projects,
- estimate the impact of some policy measures (e.g. consolidation centres, size of the vehicles, euro class of the vehicles) on the sustainability of projects
- discuss these measures with a cooperative approach involving different stakeholders (local administrations, contractors, t&l companies)
- identify which measures can work best in each specific case
- estimate the costs and benefits associated to each measure, and especially to Construction Consolidation Centres.
The session will be moderated by European Commission’s Henriette VAN EIJL and will feature a discussion with Tamiko BURNELL of the US Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) on the possible exchanges between European and US actors in the field of sustainable urban freight transport.
Besides the Luxembourg-based project coordinator LIST, partners from France, Italy and Spain (AFT, ITL, Las Naves and the Valencia Port Foundation and Vinci Construction France) will be present during the CIVITAS forum.
SUCCESS in a nutshell
SUCCESS is a European project financed by the H2020 programme, which targets the construction industry as one of the largest consumers of urban freight transport. It aims to make the most of this sector’s enormous potential for improvement by exploring and testing new tools and methods, including the potential creation of Construction Consolidation Centres, in order to provide replicable solutions and improve the use of the existing transport infrastructure and the level of cooperation among the different stakeholders of the construction supply chain.
Francesco Ferrero, Project Coordinator, email@example.com, +352 275 888 2227
Sarah Koneke, Communication manager, firstname.lastname@example.org, +33 3 44 66 37 66
Download the Press release here.
Stay updated on the event in real time! Follow us on Twitter: @SUCCESS_H2020
Join our LinkedIn group: Sustainable Urban Consolidation CentrES for construction Project